Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Comedic Tragedy Part 3

The ghost of Jen hang heavy in the air. It didn't help my new relationship that everything reminded me of her.
Living just a couple of miles away from her didn't help much either, and eventually curiosity got the best of her and she rang the doorbell at my new residence. I of course fool that I was invited her in. I offered her a glass of ice water.When I opened the freezer door to get the ice cubes the only thing in the freezer other than the two ice trays was the portion of the wedding cake meant to be eaten on my first anniversary with Penny. Jen saw it immediately, screamed at me and ran out the front door.
The other thing that didn't help my new relationship was the fact that Penny worked days, and I worked afternoons and midnights. During the first year of our marriage we passed like ships in the night,as the tired saying goes. To complicate things further, my father and his wife were over virtually every day. I could see that Penny resented them tremendously. Each day I would drop her off at work, go home and get some sleep, or visit with my father and his wife, and head off to work. Each day Penny would come home eat the dinner that I'd fixed, and go to bed. It was as if we were roommates more than a married couple  This went on until we were just roommates.
Each night at work in complete solitude I would sit and hash it over and over in my mind. What Went wrong? Why couldn't Jen and I have worked through the issues that split us up? To make matters worse, Jen would occasionally appear at my work with lunch, or dinner for two. Always showing just enough interest to make me certain that there was a chance at reconciliation. Always making sure I didn't put down roots in my new relationship. Then the phone would ring every night around 11:00 even when I was home Jen would call to talk about her day. This drove a wedge between Penny and I. I began to drink trying to dull the pain. How could a love so strong be damned? Was I wrong to start a new life still so trapped in the old one?
Then one night Penny didn't come home until 4:00 in the morning. She'd been out with an old flame sitting in a car parked out in front of the neighbors house three doors down. We hadn't been married a year yet .
I didn't know what to do. I was so conflicted on so many different levels. Was it my fault she was seeing him? How much more of all this could I take? Why couldn't anyone just be straight with me?
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment